Day 2 - so busy

Not easy to clock 1.5 miles walking the hallways but I don't want blood thinners and I want the MTX out so I can get outta here.  So we walk.  I am at a score of 1.5 MTX in my system after 24 hours which is good but not 0.1 - that's what I need to leave.  No one will estimate the timing because everyone is so different and they don't want to disappoint you.  So drink a lot, walk, pee - repeat.  They also pump an anti MTX drug and some potassium because I was low.  I ordered a banana with breakfast but they were out of bananas but they have plenty of pills. More irony.

In many ways we didn't have much time to dwell on the fact I have a very bad cancer. We had to move fast and knew we had to stay positive to kick it and we know we are good at that.  But every once in a while it really hits you with the gravity of the situation and losing the hair and sitting in line at the barber shop was one of those times when you just get overcome with the emotion of it all. It is easy to put it back down - but it does happen.

You know you have have an especially evil when your amazing expert lymphoma doctor repeats many times that thank God you are here and got here fast. They are pulling out all the stops - and we have now met 3 different lymphoma buddies and we are getting the most treatment of any of them.

I do nothing half assed - even when it comes to getting cancer.

So it's 10:30 - got my daily meds, had my breakfast, finished a puzzle, walked 1.5 miles, got my starbucks and getting ready to wrap the pic lines in cellophane and take a shower so another half pound of hair can go down the drain.  I'm like Pigpen but the cloud is hair, not dirt. Got a little speaker cranking some good old red dirt Texas music. And I feel really good - no brain pain, hip feels good. Interesting that MTX is also used as a rheumatoid arthritis treatment.  Odd that I actually had a little trouble sleeping last night because I felt so good. Great basketball on (what the heck UVA) yesterday and today - so just so busy.

My nurse had to hang a new bag of fluids and I said - dude your putting me way behind schedule and he paused for a second and then chuckled.  My favorite dad like joke is that I am so nice to everyone here and I tell them I am being nice because I want to win patient of the year because I heard they get totally free treatment with a dead serious face - that always gets a great look back - and we laugh and laugh and thank God for Blue Cross.

The facebook posts from so many well wishers really helped this week bring - it was like a trip back in time to all the great people I have had the privilege to know and love believing in our strength and resolve.

And I absolutely know I cannot lose!

Comments

  1. Seems perfectly natural to have a few down days Saba. Wouldn't be normal NOT to have them. No point dwelling on them but cut yourself some slack too.

    Does your hospital shower come with a garbage disposal? I have been to the beach with you many times and the total ton-age of hair that could be in the mix here is mind blowing. -Whelp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc - you're my hero - keep working hard and hanging tough!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They call me Complete Remission

I have eyebrows dammit!!!

This is Spinal Tap!