WE ARE DONE! NO MORE CHEMO!!!!!

Ring the bell on the chemo - we are done!  On Sunday, based upon the issues with the methotrexate and my kidneys I emailed Dr. Fowler and asked - since I have been in remission since chemo #2 and I truly believe that no cancer cells could survive the onslaught at this point - do I need chemo #6 (actually chemo 11 at this point) or is the risk to the kidneys too much?

He called me on the way to the airport and said that is a good question. He has had 7 patients who ended early and all are still in full remission.  So I asked the question - is there a compelling reason to do #6 - he said he would consult with the very doctors who developed R-EPOCH and ask.  Well apparently at dinner at the big cancer conference last night they discussed my case.

Their answer on whether I needed chemo #6 based on all that has happened from those that know the treatment the best:  "absolutely not". So no more chemo.

He called me from Switzerland as we were walking the pups on the way to coffee shop this morning.  I can tell you there were tears of joy flowing in the streets of Houston this morning!!  You cannot even imagine the dread of having to spend 6 more days in the hospital and punishing my system knowing it couldn't handle the MTX last time. To have that suddenly lifted from our shoulders was just amazing.

So it's back to living from now on!  I will get a final scan in 2 weeks to make sure then quarterly scans after that for a while. Full on recovery mode from now on. And the girls come this weekend and we get to truly celebrate a real father's day on Sunday - a father's day like no other!!

Once again - thank you support team for all the encouragement. There were times when I was truly struggling and you all kept nudging me along.

Victory would not be possible without my support team!!  Cheers!!!!

The coffee shop tour continues in full recovery mode!

Comments

  1. So truly awesome. We couldn't be happier for you. As usual you got the job done. You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

They call me Complete Remission

I have eyebrows dammit!!!

This is Spinal Tap!